BECOME CERTIFIED AS A TECHNOLOGY MASTER ADVOCATE
Congratulations to our newly certified technology master advocates, class of 2018.
Here are the names of our 21 FDCC certified Technology Master Advocates, each having completed the required coursework and attended/completed Tech U 2018:
- Mark Anderson: Goebel Anderson, PC, Salt Lake, UT
- Victor Anderson: Thompson Coe, Los Angeles, CA
- David Bertschi: BOS Law, Ottawa, ON, Canada
- Daniel Carter: Emerson Church Law, Fresno, CA
- Robert Christie: Christie Law Group, PLLC, Seattle, WA
- Rayma Church: Emerson Church Law, Fresno, CA
- Tom Cordell: Frailey, Chaffin, Cordell, Perryman & Sterkel LLP, Chickasha, OK
- Ned Currie: Currie Johnson & Myers, PA, Jackson, MS
- Jack Delany: Delany McBride, Philadelphia, PA
- Michael Denning: Heyl, Rooster, Voelker & Allen, Rockford, IL
- Robert DiSandro: Delany McBride, Philadelphia, PA
- Nicole Duffy: Delany McBride, Philadelphia, PA
- Steve Embry: Frost Brown Todd LLC, Louisville, KY
- Paul Finamore: Niles, Barton & Wilmer, LLP, Baltimore, MD
- Heidi Goebel: Goebel Anderson, PC, Salt Lake, UT
- Denise Jaffe: Robinson + Cole LLP, Hartford, CT
- Miranda Lundeen Soto: Shook, Hardy & Bacon, LLP, Miami, FL
- Gregory Varga: Robinson + Cole LLP, Hartford, CT
- Ben Watson: Butler Snow LLP, Ridgeland, MS
- Jimmy Wilkins: Watkins & Eager, Jackson, MS
- David Zizik: Sulloway & Hollis PLLC, Providence, RI
SAVE THE DATE: APRIL 5-7, 2019
VERITEXT HEADQUARTERS PHILADELPHIA
FDCC Evolve successfully completed the first Tech U, graduating 21 newly certified Technology Master Advocates. The program was incredibly well received. The faculty of 8 led our group through over 20 hours of intense training and presentations. In a collaborative and small group environment, members demonstrated their use of information presentation technologies to enhance their already powerful story telling skills. Everyone left Tech U as a better lawyer than when they arrived, grasping the power of a visual mindset.
We thank our 2018 Tech U sponsors:
- Veritext Legal Solutions
- Engineering Systems, Inc.: ESI
Save the date for Tech U, 2019. We look forward to working with a new group of members, assisting them in distinguishing themselves professionally with the power of persuasion that comes from visually connecting your audience to your message.
What is Tech U?
Tech U is the name we have given to the comprehensive 2 1/2 day program designed for those members that are integrating the technologies--apps and software--featured on this site into the way they digest, evaluate, and present case information to their clients, their companies, their mediators, their mock jurors or focus groups, and ultimately to their judges and juries. These members see the power of persuasion that comes from personally using these readily available and easy to use tools to connect their audience to their message, not just relying on others make the presentation for them. To attend this conference, members will need to commit to completing the on-line training and testing modules.
What are the goals for the program?
The Evolve Tech U program allows members to complete their training to become FDCC certified as a Technology Master Advocate. This is a hands-on indoctrination into the setup and uses of information presentation and organization technologies that will allow you to distinguish yourself professionally. The program offers lectures, demonstrations and performance workshops designed to enhance and strengthen your ability to develop a visual mindset and tech strategy in managing case information and building presentations for use in arbitrations, client updates, mediations, mock jury work, and in the courtroom. Working in teams, members will collaborate and demonstrate their mastery of the information presentation technologies featured on FDCCEvolve.com and in the teaching and testing modules built by Traveling Coaches/Legal Mind, the FDCC’s education partner. Members will come into the program having spent time completing all of the training and testing modules, and fully equipped with an iPad and the prescribed Apps. They will leave with the distinction of having been certified by the FDCC as Technology Master Advocates, using the power of persuasion that comes from visually connecting their audience to their message.
What is a Technology Master Advocate?
This is an FDCC mark of distinction, bestowed by our organization on members that have objectively demonstrated high proficiency in utilizing the various technologies--apps and software designed to make our presentations memorable to our varied audiences--featured on this website. Technology Master Advocates are proficient at setting up the hardware necessary to utilize these presentation technologies. They know how to use these programs to create powerful visual connections between the documents, pictures, video images, and locations that are part of a case and the audience that is being informed about the case. These members have recognized the having a visual mindset and developing a tech strategy are fundamental to being effective advocates for our clients, and they have devoted the time and effort to excel at this component of good story telling. Very specifically, to obtain this certification, members have completed all of the training and testing modules developed by our education partner, Traveling Coaches/Legal Mind.
The FDCC certified 21 Technology Master Advocates in the Class of 2018. Be a member of the Class of 2019!
Where will Tech U be held?
Veritext Legal Solutions will again host Tech U at their Philadelphia offices located in the heart of downtown at 1801 Market Street, Suite 1800.
When is Tech U?
Tech U begins at 5:00 pm on Friday afternoon, April 5, 2019. It will end on Sunday, April 7th, at 3:30. So Friday will be a travel day, and we will gather that evening to get started on our program. We will work all day Saturday, and be back at it Sunday morning, finishing on time for everyone to catch flights home.
Where do I stay?
We will again book a block of rooms at the Sofitel Hotel, located just a couple of blocks from Veritext's offices. This is the same hotel that has hosted the Corporate Counsel Symposium for the last two years.
What is the syllabus for the program?
We will largely follow the syllabus used for Tech U 2018, which looked like this:
5 pm – 6:00 – Arrival and registration. Dinner on site
6 pm – 6:30 – Orientation, introductions & workshop and material review
6:30 pm – 7:30 – Lecture Series (Part 1) (includes Q&A)
· “Effective use of technology in the courtroom.”
7:30 pm– 7:45 – short break
7:45 pm– 9:00 - Team workshop with circulating coaches. End of a long day.
7:30 am – 8:00 – Arrive/check in – breakfast
8:00 am – 8:30 – Workshop – Student systems – making sure everyone is ready to proceed, any troubleshooting, etc. Hands on demonstration of hardware setup.
8:30 am – 11:00 – Workshop - Hands-on work in teams to finalize first round presentations.
11:00 am – 11:15 – short break
11:15 am – 11:30 – Full group Q&A on workshop, how-to, etc.
11:30 am – 12:00 – Guest Speaker/Lecture Series (Part 2)
12:00 pm – 12:45 – (Lunch with your team – brainstorming and final revisions)
1:00 pm – 4:00 -- Live group presentations
4:00 pm – 4:15 – short break
4:15 pm – 6:15 – Second round of live group presentations
6:15 pm – 6:30 – short break
6:45 pm – 8:15 – Group debrief on first and second round live presentations. End of another long day.
7:30 am – 8:00 – Arrive/Check in - breakfast
8:00 am - 10:00 –Third round of live group presentations
10:00 am – 11:00 – Group debrief on third round live presentations
11:00 am - 11:15 - short break
11:15 am – 12:15 – Individual presentations of new/favorite apps and uses of technologies.
12:15 pm – 1:00 – Working lunch with guest speaker
1:00 pm – 2:30 – Individual presentations completed and debriefing
2:30 pm – 3:15 – Final wrap up and presentation of Technology Master Advocate Certification. Congratulations all around.Review of the program and dismissal for flights home.
What equipment do I need in advance of Tech U?
We will update this next year as Tech U approaches. For this year, all members brought their new iPad Pro models, no laptops, and no other hardware.
What Apps do I need to download for Tech U?
We will update this next year. For this year, all of the Apps used are those featured on this site under the Software/Apps section of this website.
- This suite of three Apps, bundled together and called "The Ultimate Litigation Bundle" by Saurian, consists of three separate Apps that work integrally; TrialPad, TranscriptPad, and DocReviewPad. This is the most expensive App you will be asked to purchase. The bundle is $299.
2. Notability is an App that is great for taking notes and organizing information. You also download it on your laptop and smartphone. It seamlessly syncs your notes across all three devices and backs them up to your cloud program. It might be the best $10 you will ever spend.
3. Timeline 3D by BeeDocs is an App for making visually impressive timelines that have a three dimensional appearance (hence the name) and an elegant way of moving from event to event. You can also download it on your Mac laptop if you have one. The cost is $24.99.
4. Body Anatomy by Visual Body is a "comprehensive 3D atlas of the human body" as described by its developers. It is a powerful App that allows you to view any part of the human body in perfect detail and in three dimensions. You can manipulate the image--rotate it, flip it, enlarge it--in ways that are captivating. You can also take an image from the App and insert it into PowerPoint or other Apps. The cost is $24.99.
5. StagePro is an App that makes your iPad into a full-blown document camera and whiteboard. Use it with an inexpensive Belkin Light Table (don't worry, we will have light tables for use at Tech U, so don't bother bringing your own). The cost is just $4.99.
6. Teleprompt +3 turns your iPad into a full-blown teleprompter. Combining it with the companion App on your iPhone gives you a remote control device that works seamlessly with your iPad as your teleprompter. The cost is $19.99.
7. Google Earth is a free App that--well what do you expect from Google--just gives you THE ABILITY TO FLY AROUND THE WORLD AND GET THREE DIMENSIONAL IMAGES OF ALMOST ANY GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION ON EARTH. You can get street view images from most major cities. Wow.
8. POWERPOINT, and the Apple equivalent Keynote, are the foundation of any tech strategy. It has been around for a long time, and is a versatile platform for organizing and presenting images, documents, video, and text. Use it a whiteboard for assembling a comprehensive outline of your case. It runs on any platform, Mac, PC, iPad, Surface. We use it as part of Office 365, a subscription service with Microsoft that gives you access to PowerPoint and all the Office suite of programs, anytime, anywhere.